Installing Linux!

Justin Crabtree crabtrej at otc.edu
Fri Jan 7 18:39:07 UTC 2005

Cyber Source wrote:
> I don't believe it's possible to install FC3 on such an old machine.
> Minimum memory requirements for the 200mhz machine you have would have
> been a really rare system.
>

> This section lists the memory required to install Fedora Core 3.
>
>    *
>
>      Minimum for text-mode: 64MB
>
>    *
>
>      Minimum for graphical: 192MB
>
>    *
>
>      Recommended for graphical: 256MB
>

> Jean wrote:
>

>> Dear All,
>>
>> I am having trouble installing Linux (red hat) on my 200MHZ pentium. I
>> download the files (FC3-i386-disc1.iso, FC3-i386-disc2.iso,
>> FC3-i386-disc3.iso, FC3-i386-disc4.iso) and burn 4 cds. Putting Disc1
>> in the pc and boot up from it. A list of regular message is shown on
>> screen and the pc stopped at (Verifying DMI Pool Data .... Boot from
>> ATAPI CD-ROM). There is a prompt but the keyboard is non functional.
>>
>> My next question to you is that should I burn all four CDs with the
>> md5sum file.
>>

>> Please HELP,
>>
>> -Jean

Sounds like the CD-ROM is not picking up the disc as bootable.  Have you
checked the BIOS to make sure that booting to CD is enabled?  If so,
check the disc in another machine.  If it doesn't boot, you probably
have bad discs.  The md5sum is to verify the files aren't corrupted.
Check the archives for info on burning discs and checking them.

--
Justin Crabtree
Java Programmer