FC3 and Pentium 4 optimization?

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Fri Jan 7 21:15:33 UTC 2005

Satish Balay wrote:
> The FC3 .i386 rpms are built with
>
> -O2 -g -pipe -m32 -march=i386 -mtune=pentium4

With one notable exception.  i386.rpm glibc uses i486 instruction set
(in order to support NPTL).  Or at least there's rumor out there.  FC3
system can't be installed on i386 machine even if you compile i386
kernel, if anybody still have any laying around.  I don't know why RPM
arch wasn't bumped to i486.rpm.

BTW, I saw some other distros replacing all i386 packages with i586.
Red Hat/Fedora seems to take conservative approach whenever possible
(glibc had to be compiled with i486 instructions, since NPTL was
declared must-have for Fedora).  Not sure why this conservative approach
was choosen, since officially only i586 and higher are supported.