Running kernel-2.6.9-1.11_FC2 is insanely slow

David Cary Hart Fedora at TQMcube.com
Fri Jan 7 21:37:28 UTC 2005

> The time to get from the grub selection screen to the "Hit 'I' for
> interactive startup" message at the start of the boot under the newer
> kernels is 50 seconds!  Everything else is similarly affected.
>
> If anyone has ANY ideas, please let me know.

To the disdain of some, I am a big believer in NEVER using the stock
kernel. Anecdotally, many people realize performance improvements by
compiling their own kernel with the specific processor and eliminating
the 4gb4gb split.