Running kernel-2.6.9-1.11_FC2 is insanely slow

Robert Locke rlocke at ralii.com
Fri Jan 7 21:51:42 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-07 at 16:37, David Cary Hart wrote:

> To the disdain of some, I am a big believer in NEVER using the stock
> kernel. Anecdotally, many people realize performance improvements by
> compiling their own kernel with the specific processor and eliminating
> the 4gb4gb split.

I am not sure how much difference in performance you will see from the
recompile for your processor....

And FYI, from the changelog for the most recent FC2
kernel-2.6.9-1.11_FC2:

* Fri Dec 31 2004 Dave Jones <davej at redhat.com>

- Drop 4g/4g patch completely.

And from the announcement:

A large change over previous kernels has been made. The 4G:4G memory
split patch has been dropped, and Fedora kernels now revert back to
the upstream 3G:1G kernel/userspace split.

--Rob