nsswitch.conf

Robert robert at accesscomm.ca
Sat Jan 8 06:54:59 UTC 2005

Craig White wrote:

>On Sat, 2005-01-08 at 00:29 -0500, Scot L. Harris wrote:
>

>>On Fri, 2005-01-07 at 22:50, Craig White wrote:
>>

>>>in samba server (smb.conf) add 1 line
>>>
>>>wins support = true
>>>
>>>restart samba
>>>
>>>chances are, the windows computers will all be happy. If not, add the ip
>>>address of the linux computer to TCP/IP configuration on the windows
>>>computers or better yet, to the dhcp server
>>>
>>>My guess is that SuSE had 'wins support = true' already set. I don't
>>>think that samba.org ships it that way as a default
>>>
>>>Craig
>>>

>>The way I read the original posters question he wanted the Linux system
>>to resolve other windows systems IP addresses.  I believe setting wins
>>support to true makes the linux system run a wins server.  It will not
>>resolve names for IP type operations.
>>
>>But if that fixes his problem great.  :)
>>

>----
>You could be right on that. If he wants to browse network with
>linneighborhood or nautilus, it will work and probably with smbclient
>too. I've been wrong before and undoubtedly, I will be wrong again.
>
>I doubt SuSE automatically sets up dhcp/bind in a dynamic dns style.
>
>Craig

wins support = true does indeed turn my box into a wins server, which
isn't appropriate on a network with 3 boxes :)  I can browse my windows
network in KDE because I turned on lisa (daemon wans't started by
default).  This is all done by ip address though which isn't very
elegant, although it does work.  I need to get broadcast name resolution
working, but my guess is that unless nsswitch.conf supports wins on the
hosts: line this isn't going to happen.  The default Fedora core 3
install support for users with basic home netbios based networks is
poor.  At least I've gotten to the point where I can share files and
print so I'll live with it.