Identical systems

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Sat Jan 8 07:23:44 UTC 2005

I use G4U to create a disk image of the hard drives in my lab. It
creates gzip file to an ftp server.

Home Page
http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/

Make sure you clear out all unused blocks first, since it used dd to
copy everything. I once did FC3 without doing it, and got a 12GB
file, then after doing it got a 2.5GB file.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/0bits bs=20M
rm /0bits

The commands to make a full disk image is:
uploaddisk ipaddress imagename

uploaddisk 192.168.1.1 fcxyz.gz

It uses the id install by default, and will then prompt for the
password.

The command to download would be.
slurpdisk 192.168.1.1 fcxyz.gz

It uses dhcp to get IP addresses, but you can use ifconfig -a to
check the setttings, and you can override it with ifconfig as well.

The is also a similar program using linux instead of BSD, but it
requires a CD instead, and it currently requires you to use
anonymous with write access to a img subdirectory on the ftp
servers machine.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/