NVIDIA Install Problem Not Seen Before

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sat Jan 8 18:30:41 UTC 2005

On Sat, Jan 08, 2005 at 10:14:10AM -0800, Aaron Greenwood wrote:
> No matter what I try I get the following error when trying to install the
> nvidia drivers.
> ERROR: Unable to load the kernel module 'nvidia.ko'.  This is most likely
>       because the kernel module was built using the wrong kernel source
>       files.
>       Please make sure you have installed the kernel source files for your
>       kernel; on Red Hat Linux systems, for example, be sure you have the
>       'kernel-source' rpm installed.  If you know the correct kernel source
>       files are installed, you may specify the kernel source path with the
>       '--kernel-source-path' commandline option.
>
> How can this be when the installed kernel packages are:
>
> kernel-2.6.9-1.11_FC2
> kernel-sourcecode-2.6.9-1.11_FC2

The latter is not used as the "Kernel source path" further down
reveals.

> and the running Kernel as reported by uname is:
>
> Linux scope.bio.uci.edu 2.6.9-1.11_FC2 #1 Sun Jan 2 15:49:30 EST 2005 i686
> i686 i386 GNU/Linux

> -> Kernel source path: '/lib/modules/2.6.9-1.11_FC2/source'

> ERROR: Unable to load the kernel module 'nvidia.ko'.  This is most likely
>       because the kernel module was built using the wrong kernel source
>       files.
>       Please make sure you have installed the kernel source files for your
>       kernel; on Red Hat Linux systems, for example, be sure you have the
>       'kernel-source' rpm installed.  If you know the correct kernel source
>       files are installed, you may specify the kernel source path with the
>       '--kernel-source-path' commandline option.
> -> Kernel module load error: insmod: error inserting
> './usr/src/nv/nvidia.ko':
>   -1 No such device

Does the building host have an nvidia card at all? Usually the nvidia
script work well (other than killing your Mesa libs and being
unpackaged that is, but at least they install).

Anyway, you may be more comfortable with using the nvidia-graphics
packages at ATrpms.net.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net