Bash scripting problems

Chadley Wilson chadley at pinteq.co.za
Sun Jan 9 00:13:57 UTC 2005

On Sunday 09 January 2005 01:05, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 08, 2005 at 06:43:01PM -0400, Jorge Fábregas wrote:
> > > Yes, but bash acts differently in that case:
> > >        If bash is invoked with the name sh, it tries  to  mimic  the
> > > startup behavior of historical versions of sh as closely as possible,
> > > while conforming to the POSIX standard as well
> > > <snip>
> >
> > I didn't know this.  Thanks for that Matthew. Very well explained!
>
> That's from the man page, but thanks anyway. :)
>
> --
> Matthew Miller           mattdm at mattdm.org        <http://www.mattdm.org/>
> Boston University Linux      ------>                <http://linux.bu.edu/>

Firstly thank you to all who have assisted me with my script, but it still got
one headace,
I have scripted the upgrade of the kernel and the kernel.src packages.

Well the problem is simple they appear to run and complete, and I can tell,
simply because the command is rpm -ivh kernel*
I see the hashes run across the screen. and it is good.

but after the whole script is run I rebooted and got error 15 "file not found"
Immediately I booted the old kernel and checked the /boot dir for the new
kernel files, and they are not there.

So I run the command manually from the command line and check again, there
they are.
I check the script and copy the kernel section to a test script
I format reload and try again
run the test script and it works.
put the working scripts content back into my main script, reload again and it
doesn't work.

here is the section of the script maybe some here has an idea as to why it
won't do the kernel bit. I have taken out the some of comments to see the
commands more clearly.

#!/bin/bash

#set the current directory variable

updatedir=$(pwd)

echo "%_solve_pkgsdir   /var/cache/apt/archives/" > /root/.rpmmacros
echo "%_solve_name_fmt %{?_solve_pkgsdir}/%%{NAME}-%%{VERSION}-%%{RELEASE}.
%%{ARCH}.rpm" >> /root/.rpmmacros

mkdir -p /var/cache/apt
mkdir -p /etc/apt/

cp -rf $updatedir/gpg /etc/apt/
rpm --import /etc/apt/gpg/*

cp $updatedir/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list

rpm --rebuilddb

cp -r $updatedir/archives /var/cache/apt/archives

rpm -ivh --aid /var/cache/apt/archives/apt*.rpm
rpm -ivh --aid /var/cache/apt/archives/synaptic*.rpm

cp $updatedir/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list

#install new kernel and src

rpm -ivh  /var/cache/apt/archives/kernel*.rpm
cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/

rpmbuild -v -v -bp --target=`uname -m` kernel-2.6.spec

cp
-var /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-2.6.9/linux-2.6.9/configs/kernel-2.6.9-i686.config
 /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-2.6.9/linux-2.6.9/.config
<this is one line in the script >

cd $updatedir

--
Chadley Wilson