FC3 Usability Problems

Per Nystrom centaur at netmagic.net
Sun Jan 9 03:15:21 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-08 at 18:56, Johnathan Bailes wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 21:49:05 -0500 (EST), William Hooper
> <whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net> wrote:
> >
> > Per Nystrom said:
> > [snip]
> > > http://www.netmagic.net/~centaur/CustomMenubarIdentified.png
> >
> > For being a "colossal waste of space" I see quite a bit of empty in the
> > middle of the panel that isn't being used.  Why is adding some text a
> > waste of space when there is a bunch unused?
> >

> > --
> > William Hooper
> >

> Especially since the old RH8 default menu panel was one panel MS-style
> panel on the bottom that was sooo damn big.
>
> I mean you take up less actual screen space with the two panels than
> the one that RH used to use.
>
> "colossal waste of space" sounds like a justification of an opinion
> not a statement of fact.

Considering that this new menu bar takes up fully 5 times the horizontal
space that the old red hat icon did and yet it does basically the same
thing, I think "colossal waste of space" is a fair way to describe it.

To really pick nits: the most space it should require to get exactly the
same functionality as with the new "Custom Menu Bar" would be for two
icons that expand into "Applications" and "Actions" menus.

> You don't like two panels?  Get rid of the Custom Menu Bar with a
> right click - > Remove panel --  I believe and then add the menu back
> to the bottom panel.
>
> What is the big deal?

I get this.  When I first started grousing, I didn't know that the
old-style-no-text menu ("Main Menu") still existed.  Since it does, I
can get everything I need onto one panel with only a little fuss.