different 'sum' on three different FC3 installs

Deron Meranda deron.meranda at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 04:00:55 UTC 2005

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 21:40:53 -0600 (CST), Mark Hittinger <bugs at pu.net> wrote:
> I ran into something curious.  I installed FC3 on three computers with the
> same set of CD's and updated them with yum roughly at the same time.
>
> Afterwards I noticed that certain system binaries (for example /bin/csh and
> /bin/login) all have different 'sum' checksums on the three systems.
> The file sizes are the same.

This is a side effect of prelink (do a "man prelink"), which modifies binaries
to make them faster.

To verify that your files are okay, try

  rpm -V -v tcsh

Or you could also do something like,

  host1$  prelink -y /bin/tcsh >/bin/tcsh.orig
  host1$  md5sum /bin/tcsh.orig

  host2$  prelink -y /bin/tcsh >/bin/tcsh.orig
  host2$  md5sum /bin/tcsh.orig

--
Deron Meranda