FC3 Usability Problems

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Sun Jan 9 04:39:29 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-08 at 21:37, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 08, 2005 at 10:16:34PM -0500, Troyston Campano wrote:
> > These Usability Problems sound more like personal opinion. I would think
> > from a 'usability' standpoint that having a menu that tells you what's
> > under it without having to click it would be better. For people new to
> > Linux and Gnome, I don't think having a little red picture of a hat
> > wouldn't tell me that behind it all my applications are hidden.
>
> What correlation do you see between having something be immediately
> obvious to a new user and that thing being higly "usable"?

Can someone explain why every window manager makes a special case
for menus parked in unusual places or via odd mouse clicks but
they all understand icons on the desktop or in folders?  Why
don't we just park an 'applications' folder on the desktop
with appropriate launchers and subfolders and have it work
in all window managers the same way without special menu editor
mechanisms or ways that you don't already know to navigate?

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com