RPM's

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 9 04:43:01 UTC 2005

Johnathan Bailes wrote:

> But ..... It is honestly more of a fat finger risk.
>
> Don't spend lots of time logged in as root doing things.
>
> Just an invitation one way or another to disaster.
>
> Anyone for example can forget a dash or something like the example below:
>
> (Never do this as root)
> find / name core -exec rm {} \;
>
> The guy who did this forgot the dash and deleted everything from / down.

Yep, about the same as typing in rm -rf * as root at \ (root directory).

Actually, this is a very bad way of removing core files.  One should do
the find and redirect it to a list file.  Read through the file to
insure that no needed files are there (someone once named a critical
executable core) before running the rm command.

Also, one should never login as root unless absolutely necessary.  I had
to find a way around FC3's need to set pppd so that only root could run
it and then to set the device settings for my tty connection so that my
user could access it, while denying other users access.  This made
things fun.  BTW, pppd is NOT world runnable.

James McKenzie