FC3 Usability Problems

Johnathan Bailes johnathan.bailes at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 05:52:02 UTC 2005

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 23:42:34 -0600, Les Mikesell <les at futuresource.com> wrote:

> If program launchers are in the same folders as all other objects
> you use, it doesn't matter what way you know how to manipulate
> them, it is at least one way less that you have to know than
> if the menus are different.  And it can be many fewer ways if
> you use different window managers with different menu concepts.
>
> --
>   Les Mikesell
>    les at futuresource.com

This is kind of the way they use to handle in menus in gnome back in
the day.  The menu launchers were in directories that corresponding to
their place in the menus and such like that.

They went to a vfs model after that and the whole xml thing.

Fedora currently uses the freedesktop method which is a bit different
than the typical gnome vfs2 virtual folder markup for xml I think.

There is a standard.

It is just getting everyone essentially to use it.