Usb scanner problem

Roy mlist at ncbrandon.com
Sun Jan 9 08:39:09 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-08 at 23:05 -0700, Lloyd Hayes wrote:
<snip>

> I might be able to shed some light on this. The weakest thing about
> Linux is the extreme lack of documentation. I chalk it up to programmers
> who learned bad habits. (I used to write shareware over 20 years ago and
> creating the docs to go with programs was considered normal.)
>
> I have an HP PSC1210. The docs for hpoj for these 'All-in-One'
> scanner/printers state that you can use either the scanner or printer.
> But not both. You have to log out and log back in to use the the
> opposite part of this machine.
>
> Also, it also seems the driver is using only the color cartridge. Not
> the B&W cartridge.
>
> Lloyd

I too have an HP PSC 1210 and up until recently, couldn't get the scanner to
work with FC. I have it connected to my workstation which is FC2, but
plan to move it to my server which is FC3. I'm not sure at the moment
where I got the link, but HP has a linux project on Sourceforge.net that
has a backend for around 300 HP printers.

http://hpinkjet.sourceforge.net/productssupported.php

I downloaded, installed, and configured the HPLIP backend for my printer
following the directions given on the site, and I can now print and scan
without changing anything, or logging out. It works well on FC2, and
possibly in the next few days I'll try it on my FC3 box.

Roy