how do I copy from server to server

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Sun Jan 9 10:18:03 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-08 at 00:01, Matthew Crocker wrote:
> If you need to copy a bunch of stuff *and* keep your permissions you
> can do something like
>

> tar czf - /files/I/want/to/back/up/* | ssh -l root -c "(cd
> /new/location/for/files && tar -xf - )"
>
> Basically you are creating a tar file and outputting it to STDOUT which
> is piped to STDIN of an ssh session which sends it to STDIN of a tar
> process running on the other machine.

Can you explain why this doesn't work for me??

tar -lcf - .  | ssh  -l root x.x.x.x  "tar -xvpf - -C
/some/area"

tar: Bad Option: -xf.
Usage:  tar cmd [options] file1 ... filen

Use     tar -help
and     tar -xhelp
to get a list of valid cmds and options.

Use     tar H=help
to get a list of valid archive header formats.

Use     tar diffopts=help
to get a list of valid diff options.

--
Ow Mun Heng