FC3 Usability Problems

Ian Malone ibm21 at cam.ac.uk
Sun Jan 9 11:22:33 UTC 2005

Les Mikesell wrote:

 > On Sun, 2005-01-09 at 00:07, Matthew Miller wrote:
 >> On Sat, Jan 08, 2005 at 11:42:34PM -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
 >
 >>> If program launchers are in the same folders as all other objects
 >>> you use, it doesn't matter what way you know how to manipulate
 >>> them, it is at least one way less that you have to know than
 >>> if the menus are different.  And it can be many fewer ways if
 >>> you use different window managers with different menu concepts.
 >

 >> Why would my window manager have folders?

 > I shouldn't - it should let you use the same mechanism to
 > navigate the filesystem folders that you use for everything
 > else.  Why should it have menus?

Panel menus are not obscured by open windows.  They are therefore
useful for usrs running more than one application.  I'll admit
that this an elitist view, since few users will understand that
computers can do such things, many will be confused by the
concept, and almost none will really need it.

--
imalone