SMTP Authentication against database on separate POP/IMAP host

Paul R. Ganci ganci at nurdog.com
Sun Jan 9 15:32:02 UTC 2005

I have been googling for several days now and still have not come up
with a solution for this problem. I inherited two machines one of which
runs the POP/IMAP servers and contains a virtual user PAM database. The
other machine runs an SMTP server which is used for relaying the email
for the internal subscribers of our small rural wireless ISP. The SMTP
relay is closed off from the outside world, but I have never liked this
solution because any of our subscriber machines could be hacked and used
to turn the SMTP server into a open relay or worse. Additionally many of
subscribers travel and want access to the SMTP server which I can not
give them.

I want to setup SSL and authenticate our subscribers using the SMTP
server against the PAM database kept on the host running the POP/IMAP
servers. Has anyone done anything like this before? I am open to
suggestions. I was hoping to avoid duplicating the PAM database on the
SMTP server if I can. I would appreciate references to any
documentation, references etc. Thanks.

--
Paul (ganci at nurdog.com)