My core 3 install's sound stopped working!

HaJo Schatz hajo at hajo.net
Sun Jan 9 15:36:17 UTC 2005

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005, blank wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> New guy to the list here and finally have Linux only on my workstation. I
> know my hardware is supported as well, it worked perfectly after install and
> for a week or so afterwards.
>
> Anyway, I have no sound now and dmesg only gives "application mplayer uses
> obsolete OSS audio interface" when I try mplayer and dmesg shows nothing
> about say, xmms even though it appears to play, but no sound. I've used
> up2date and yum to upgrade most things. xmms is from source as is mplayer,
> but I think that is all I've installed from source dealing with sound.
>
> I've removed my sound card, let kudzu remove the configuration for it, added
> the sound card again, let kudzu add it, and still no sound. As I've said,
> sound used to work and I've checked things like mute and wires and
> connections.

While recommending an "mplayer -ao alsa" to go through alsa rather than
oss, I could only think of:
- The sound card having died (any chance to check it in another PC/OS?)
- The mixer. Today (after upgrading my kernel) sonehow all my mixer
controls were down to 0 and muted. Just double-check with alsamixer on a
console, as root (this is important, don't do it as a normal user, it
didn't help for me either! Dunno yet why not, however) that your controls
are up and not muted.

HaJo

--
HaJo Schatz <hajo at hajo.net>