PCMCIA not working.

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 22:16:42 UTC 2005

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 12:44:07 -0700, David Donnelly <brownsfan at shaw.ca> wrote:
> I have been unable to get any pcmcia card working under fc3. I am
> googled to death about this so I turn to the list...
>
> I am attempting to install a Linksys WPC11 ver.3 wireless card. The
> laptop is a Compaq r3000. It has a built in wireless which uses a
> Broadcom chipset. I have that working with Ndiswrapper. I am intending
> to use the Linksys card as a wireless scanner. I have lights on the card
> and have installed the wlan-ng driver which is supposed to work with
> this card. Although I have configured the card, I get a "wlan1 has
> different mac address than expected" on boot. This error actually has
> nothing to do with the mac address as I found a similar bug while
> googling. What is actually happening is the card is not found. I also
> attempted to plugin an older Xircom ethernet pcmcia I had here and it
> doesn't work either.
>
> Any suggestions as to what to try. I am considering the fact that the
> pcmcia slot may not work on the computer, but I don't have XP on this
> computer anymore to try in it windows. I hadn't tried another pcmcia
> card prior to this either so I don't know if it ever worked.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> David

Hi David,
There are some issues with Cardbus PCMCIA cards on this laptop with
Linux.  Or there at least were.  Check out this mailing list for
running Linux on Compaq R3000 laptops:
The list is mostly for those with 64-bit laptops, but there are many
using the 32-bit version.  Is this an R3000Z (AMD) or R3000T (Intel)?
I beleive some people have gotten around this issue using the command:
setpci -s 0:a.0 SUBORDINATE_BUS=0A
I have not tried using any PCMCIA cards, so I don't know if the issue
is still present in the 2.6.9 kernel.  There was talk of some patch
for this getting in.  Anyway, you might try the command and see if it
helps.

Jonathan

PS  It's a bad idea to completely remove Windows.  There have been
some helpful BIOS updates posted by HP, and Windows is required to
install them (they are installed with Windows executables).