Lightweight volume control for XFCE?

John Wendel jwendel10 at comcast.net
Mon Jan 10 01:30:54 UTC 2005

Marc Schwartz wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-01-09 at 13:13 -0600, Christopher J. Bottaro wrote:
>
>>Whats a good lightweight volume control for XFCE?  I'd like something
>>that complies to that freedesktop standard so it will dock in the system
>>tray.  Maybe something written in gtk.  I'm using FC3 btw.
>

> Add the Xfce volume control panel applet:
>
> Right click on the edge of the Xfce panel and select Add New Item, then
> select Volume Control from the list.
>

>>On a side note, how do I make XFCE my default desktop?  I edited my
>>/etc/sysconfig/desktop to have the line
>>DESKTOP="XFCE"
>>but it doesn't work.
>

> Just run the desktop switching tool:
>
> /usr/bin/switchdesk
>
> and select Xfce.
>

> BTW, to anyone else reading this, Xfce 4.2 is scheduled for final
> release on Jan 16 (unless something unexpected occurs  ;-).
>
> HTH,
>
> Marc Schwartz

I'm currently using XFCE 4.2RC3 on FC3. It's working perfectly for me.
I'd like to suggest that everyone interested in XFCE give it a try and
report any bugs.

Looks like an XFCE volume control/mixer is planned (there's an entry in
the config menu), but I couldn't find it among the installed apps. For
volume control, I just run alsamixer if the app I'm using doesn't have
its own control. gnome-volume-control also works fine under XFCE.

I didn't make XFCE4 my default desktop, since I always boot into
runlevel 3. I just run "startxfce4" after a regular console login.

Regards,

John