Linux Word Processors

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Mon Jan 10 04:34:34 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2004-12-21 at 08:38 -0500, Ryan D'Baisse wrote:
> I'm trying to find a professional word processor for Linux without
> using Crossover or Wine. [...] I am downloading StarOffice v7.0 from
> Sun's site, at the moment, but do not know of a single person who is
> using it.

I use StarOffice 7, and have done so since it was released. I have been
extremely satisfied with the product, even though I routinely exchange
complicated financial models with about 30 people in various companies,
all of whom use MS Word.

The only "trick" I learned in order to obtain peace on Earth was to save
documents which I created, and which only I would use, in StarOffice
formats. Docs which I created but knew I would share, I saved initially
in MS Office formats. Circulating them then never caused any problems.

StarOffice has been enough of a success that I am close to convincing my
boss to move part of the office to Linux and StarOffice based on its
performance on my computer. I am now testing OO on FC3 and will also
test the upcoming OO2 when it's ready. However, I've been happy enough
with StarOffice that I will buy a copy of StarOffice 8 when it's
released, *just* to support their efforts even if I end up not using it.

Given my experience so far, the likelihood of my using SO8 is very high.
And my satisfaction with SO7 has also been very high.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz at simpaticus.com>