Linux Word Processors

JonVO jonvo at comcast.net
Mon Jan 10 04:48:02 UTC 2005

Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:

>On Tue, 2004-12-21 at 08:38 -0500, Ryan D'Baisse wrote:
>

>>I'm trying to find a professional word processor for Linux without
>>using Crossover or Wine. [...] I am downloading StarOffice v7.0 from
>>Sun's site, at the moment, but do not know of a single person who is
>>using it.
>>

>I use StarOffice 7, and have done so since it was released. I have been
>extremely satisfied with the product, even though I routinely exchange
>complicated financial models with about 30 people in various companies,
>all of whom use MS Word.
>
>The only "trick" I learned in order to obtain peace on Earth was to save
>documents which I created, and which only I would use, in StarOffice
>formats. Docs which I created but knew I would share, I saved initially
>in MS Office formats. Circulating them then never caused any problems.
>
>StarOffice has been enough of a success that I am close to convincing my
>boss to move part of the office to Linux and StarOffice based on its
>performance on my computer. I am now testing OO on FC3 and will also
>test the upcoming OO2 when it's ready. However, I've been happy enough
>with StarOffice that I will buy a copy of StarOffice 8 when it's
>released, *just* to support their efforts even if I end up not using it.
>
>Given my experience so far, the likelihood of my using SO8 is very high.
>And my satisfaction with SO7 has also been very high.
>
>Cheers,

Been using OO1.1.4 for some time and although the MSword files are read
and can be saved in OO, not all features of MSword carry over to OO the
same way. Nesting 2 or more levels of headers doesn't work in OO without
explicitly defining the headers. Some additional learning curve here...
In all,  I would recommend OO or Staroffice as the file format
interchange between versions of MSword is actuallly more robust in OO
than in MS products! In other words, versions of MSword are less
compatible with each other than with saved versions of OO.
JonVO