ssh-agent processes being left after XDCMP login

Deron Meranda deron.meranda at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 09:14:18 UTC 2005

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 00:34:50 -0800, John Wendel <jwendel10 at comcast.net> wrote:
> Brian Mury wrote:
> > On Mon, 2005-10-01 at 18:29 +1100, Phil Anderson wrote:
> >
> >>Is anyone else finding that ssh-agent is left running after XDCMP (and
> >>possibly normal) sessions?

Yes, ssh-agent appears to stay running.  This is RPM package
openssh-clients-3.9p1-7  From a little poking, the signal handling
state of the process(es) is:

  SigPnd: 0000000000000000
  ShdPnd: 0000000000000000
  SigBlk: 0000000000000000
  SigIgn: 0000000020001002
  SigCgt: 0000000000004001
  CapInh: 0000000000000000
  CapPrm: 0000000000000000
  CapEff: 0000000000000000

This means that these signals are caught:
  SIGHUP, SIGTERM
and these signals are ignored:
  SIGINT, SIGPIPE, SIGPWR

I would think that either a HUP or TERM would normally be sent
when the X session was closed.  Note though that the agent process
forks itself as a daemon, so an automatic kill may not be sent.  I'm
not sure how a "ssh-agent -k" works, or if it is being called.

The ssh-agent process is getting started within the script,
/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc-common
only if it's not already running (which should be the case unless
you're using startx manually from a console).

I don't see where the agent is ever attempted to be killed.  Looks
like some investigation is warranted, and perhaps a bug recorded.

--
Deron Meranda