[newbie] Translating rt2500 installation instructions

Nicholas Comino celloworld at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 10:46:11 UTC 2005

I was hoping to get some help with these instructions that came with
the rt2500 driver (which I hope will successfully drive the MSI PC54G2
wireless card).

Specifically, I don't understand the second line, 'cp
../2.6.x/Makefile .' It seems to be asking me to copy a file from
somewhere to somewhere else, but only gives one directory (or is it
subdirectory) that doesn't exist. Because I don't understand what I am
trying to do, I don't really understand how to go about interpreting
it [perhaps that's a hint to anyone who writes documentation].
Thankyou for any help. ~Nick

For 2.6 series kernel:

a.  run 'cd STA/Module'

        'cp ../2.6.x/Makefile .'

b.  $make -C /path/to/source SUBDIRS=$PWD modules

    Where /path/to/source is the path to the source directory for the
(configured and built) target kernel.

c.  run '/sbin/insmod rt2500.ko'  (as root)

        '/sbin/ifconfig ra0 inet YOUR_IP up'