[newbie] Translating rt2500 installation instructions

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Jan 10 10:55:39 UTC 2005

Nicholas Comino wrote:
> I was hoping to get some help with these instructions that came with
> the rt2500 driver (which I hope will successfully drive the MSI PC54G2
> wireless card).
>
> Specifically, I don't understand the second line, 'cp
> ../2.6.x/Makefile .' It seems to be asking me to copy a file from
> somewhere to somewhere else, but only gives one directory (or is it
> subdirectory) that doesn't exist. Because I don't understand what I am
> trying to do, I don't really understand how to go about interpreting
> it [perhaps that's a hint to anyone who writes documentation].
> Thankyou for any help. ~Nick
>
> For 2.6 series kernel:
>
> a.  run 'cd STA/Module'
>
>         'cp ../2.6.x/Makefile .'

My guess is that you have downloaded the driver source and extracted it
into some directory. You are now reading instructions in that directory.
So I'd expect there to be subdirectories STA and STA/Module in the
driver source so that you could follow this instruction to change
directory and copy in the appropriate Makefile.

Paul.