Starting a service

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Mon Jan 10 18:09:35 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-10 at 11:56, Alexander Dalloz wrote:

> > I use chkconfig for this myself, but note that it is possible to
> > use the GUI tools from a remote X connection even if the machine
> > itself is not running X locally (it must have the libs installed).

> You are right, but it implies that you have a fair part of X / GUI
> installed on the remote system. This is not always the case and wanted.
> I have systems with not any X library on it.

I install X, but not the desktop packages on servers just for this
purpose.  Chkconfig does everything you will need for services, but
if you make a network change remotely you really want to learn
what all the stuff under /etc/sysconfig/networking means as well
as the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/* files.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com