Starting a service

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Jan 10 18:42:00 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-10 at 10:20 -0500, jim lawrence wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 15:15:34 +0000, Paul Johnson
> <paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > How do I start a service to run from start up - I don't have a windowing
> > system set on the machine, so s-c-s is out of the question.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Paul
> > --
> > "He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy"
> > - Life of Brian, Monty Python
> >
> > --
> >

> -- applications--->System Settings----> Server Settings--->Services
> you can choose one of those   OR
>
> Applications---> Preferences-----> More Preferences ----->Sessions
> Clickcthe Start-up  Programs   tab
> Click Add  and type in your app you want to start when you log in.
>

> Still Learning Linux
> Still HaTE Microsoft
> ************************************
> Registered Linux User: #376813
>
> jim lawrence

Jim,
Paul said he does not have windowing running. Your suggestions are for
when X is running.

Paul,
The commands chkconfig and service are your friends here, as are the
scripts in /etc/rc.d/init.d

If, for example, you are running in runlevel 3 as you indicate, you can
first look at what services are running, and what services are available
with the command
# chkconfig --list
This will give you a complete table of all knows services with the
status for each runlevel (on or off)

Use "# man chkconfig" for all the info on how to use that command.

To find out what runlevels a service is set to run in (even if it is not
running right now) the command "head /etc/rc.d/init.d/<service name>"
will give you a few lines.
The line that looks like this
     # chkconfig: 2345 10 90
tells you the service is set to run at runlevels 2,3,4,5 with the start
sequence number 10, and to be stopped with the stop sequence number of
90 in all other run levels.

If your earlier listing of services shows the service you want to run is
off for your runlevel, then the command "# chkconfig <service name> on"
will reset the service to be on in the configured runlevels.  The next
boot will start it, or you can do it by hand with "# service <service
name> start"

There are many more options available.  As I said, use man to find out
all of them and how to use the commands.

HTH
Jeff