system-config-packages Can Not Find Installed Packages

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 11 03:45:16 UTC 2005

Kam Leo said:
> On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 16:32:11 -0500 (EST), William Hooper
> <whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net> wrote:
>

>> Kam Leo said:
>>

>>> Restricting oneself to CDs after installing upgraded packages is
>>> going to require  more effort than using smart or synaptic and the
>>> internet. The packages listed above need to be downgraded/replaced
>>> with the ones on the CDs so that the package group on the CDs can be
>>> installed using system-config-package.  Any additional conficts need
>>> the downgrade/replacement routine.
>>
>> Gee, this sounds familiar.
>>

> Sure is.

I said it earlier.

> It's been quoted many times in other threads.  But I believe
> it is worth repeating: "In order to install some packages you may need to
> downgrade/replace newer packages!"

That last part is only if you are using third party repos that aren't
keeping up with Fedora Core.

>>> If the OP has the disk space my advice is to A) create a local
>>> repository for all packages on the CDs;
>>
>> And so does this.
>>

> Yes, again.  However, you didn't advise the OP to use smart to resolve
> and ameliorate the downgrade/replacement task ahead.

I guess I just haven't drank the "smart" kool-aid yet.  Downgrading
packages (and potentially reverting security updates) just doesn't sound
like something I want my dep manager to be doing.  Besides, the OP is
talking about just Fedora Core packages.  There shouldn't be much
downgrading involved and all the deps are consistent, so the choice of dep
solving tool won't matter much beyond personal preference.

> An interactive gui
> application is much better than iterating through numerous rpm dependency
> outputs.

Yum and up2date do a good job for me.

--
William Hooper