kernel 2.6.10 in FC3 - sound problem ?

Mike Cohler mdc1 at york.ac.uk
Tue Jan 11 22:00:03 UTC 2005

I have today re-booted to kernel 2.6.10-1.737_FC3 after the yum update
fetched the latest last night, on three different machines all running FC3
fully up to date. All three were previously also fully up to date as of
yesterday.

On two of these machines sound no longer works, but on the third sound
works ok after some fiddling after the re-boot.  They have different
sound cards and are different makes of machine.

On one I cannot persuade sound to appear at all even though the sound
card is correctly detected.  On the second the card is detected and the
test sound plays fine from the KDE control centre, but xmms refuses to
work.  On the third machine sound works fine. All three machines have an
everything install of FC3 and have not had any problems at all in recent
times.

On all these I am using KDE as my desktop - and there has not been any
problem with sound until last night with the previous kernel (2.6.9).

Does anyone have an answer ?

Thanks

Mike

--