Dual Boot with FC3 and Win 2K

Phil Schaffner P.R.Schaffner at IEEE.org
Tue Jan 11 23:37:50 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-11 at 14:33 -0800, John Thorburn wrote:
> I have a Dell system which has 2 HD's and a current
> install of Win 2K. I wiped out the 2nd HD and
> installed FC3 on it. I used the Auto Partition option
> for this drive and installed GRUB to handle the boot
> load stuff. However, the system doesn't give me the
> option at boot to use FC3 or Win 2K; it just goes to
> Win 2K.

Obviously you have not succeeded in overwriting the W2K MBR.

> I tried placing GRUB on hda and then on hdb. Neither
> worked.

Some more detail might help diagnose the problem.  Did you do this by
rerunning the installer?  Did you choose the MBR (presumably /dev/hda)
or the boot partition (perhaps /dev/hdb1)?

> I tried to reinstall the Boot Loader and, when
> I do, FC3 tries to install Firefox and then tells me
> that no images were loaded and that none of my boot
> loader changes will take effect.

Again, not quite clear what you mean.

> I've tried alot of stuff so far and I'm at my wit's
> end. Any help would be appreciated as I'm new to
> Linux/FC.

Have you tried to boot in rescue mode?  If so, is your system found and
mounted?  If so. have you tried:

# chroot /mnt/sysimage
# grub-install /dev/hda

?