windows to read LVM partitions

Deron Meranda deron.meranda at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 04:41:17 UTC 2005

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 19:08:50 -0500, Cyber Source <peter at cybersource.us> wrote:
> Does anyone know of a windows app/utility that can read Linux LVM. I
> love LVM on Core 3 but it presents a problem on dual boots that cant
> read it. Thanks

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking. Also remember it's not just enough
to support LVM, you will also want ext3 (or whatever) filesystem too.  I think
there are three possible levels of LVM/Windows integration questions:

1. Can Windows peacefully co-exist with LVM (in dual-boot)
  I think this is yes.  Windows will ignore all LVM-typed partitions.
  Note though that you must also have non-LVM partitions for
  Windows' own use.

2. Can Windows read LVM
  No.  But the source code to LVM/ext3 is free...

3. Can Windows manage LVM
   No.  See #2.

--
Deron Meranda