OpenLDAP on Fedora Core 1

Rick Cuthill rcuthill at metamorfix.com
Wed Jan 12 05:43:56 UTC 2005

Hello,

I know this isn't a new problem (symptom) as I have seen hints of
it in the archives but no clean solution was found.

First I installed all openldap RPMs using yum.

I have been following "LDAP System Administrator" by Carter
(O'Reilly), setting up the slapd.conf slowly and testing along
the way.  As you will see I don't get very far before problems
start.

For what ever reason, I can start ldap ldbm but not bdb.  More
specifically, ldap appears to start with bdb but when I check to
see if the processes are active, none exist.  When ldbm is
specified, ldap starts

I have made sure every db4-* rpm has been installed.

Second symptom is (using ldbm) that I can make the  root
directory entry (i.e dc=metamorfix,dc=net) and then the first
ou: I think gets entered but when I check using ldapsearch I
get:

# search result
search: 2
result: 32 No such object

Instead of the directory listing.

Okay so barge ahead anyway and try to add my name to the
directory and I get the following:

adding new entry "cn=Rick
Cuthill,ou=contacts,dc=metamorfix,dc=net"
ldapmodify: update failed: cn=Rick
Cuthill,ou=contacts,dc=metamorfix,dc=net
ldap_add: Internal (implementation specific) error (80)

I have changed ownership of directory files from root to ldap but
this didn't change any symptoms.

Any suggestions?

--
Best Regards,