windows to read LVM partitions

Deron Meranda deron.meranda at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 15:12:04 UTC 2005

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 08:54:19 -0500, Cyber Source <peter at cybersource.us> wrote:
> By default, windows will see the partition
> and give it a drive letter but shows nothing, so I was wondering if
> there is an app that can be installed (like I've done in the past to
> read ext3 partitions), that will enable windows to read the LVM
> partition.

I'm not aware of anything that currently exists (but then I don't
use Windows).

Conceptually, LVM is pretty simple.  But it's difficult to implement
correctly.  And under Windows, LVM is challenging because by it's
nature it's not just contained in a single partition or even a single
device.  Thus, unlike just another filesystem format like ext3,
it is not easy to plug into the Windows virtual filesystem framework.

What utility do you currently use to read plain ext3 partitions?  And
is it open source?

--
Deron Meranda