FC3 upgrade problems

Daniel Haas Daniel.Haas at cern.ch
Thu Jan 13 07:55:07 UTC 2005

Sorry if this is a double post, it seem's my first try got lost somewhere:

Hi folks,

I freshly installed FC3 on my machine (was using FC2 before) and wanted to
perform all necessary updates. But this goes badly wrong.

first I updated up2date, that afterwards does'nt find anything at all
anymore - yuppie! So ok, no prob, I used yum to continue and tried first
with the evolution suite, but I can't use evolution anymore at all, I get:

(evolution:6836): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:
Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols
specified are supported and host-based authentication failed.
evolution: relocation error: /usr/lib/evolution/2.0/libeutil.so.0: symbol
__sprintf_chk, version GLIBC_2.3.4 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link
time reference

What's the problem there (I did a fresh install, because the upgrade went
already wrong yesterday, I had a completely unuseable system, but thought
the problem was on my side, but it looks like the current upgrades are
badly wrong...) (To be more clear FC2->FC3 worked, but upgrading packages for FC3 completely failed and left me with a system that I could only boot in single mode, but even there nothing worked with similar errors as above)

Any help appreciated!

(In the meantime, I'll try to 'downgrade' to evolution 1.5.9something
again, which is maybe not straighforward, yum fulfilled lots of dependencies)

Cheers, Daniel