MX record in zone file

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Jan 13 08:01:07 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 11:56 -0800, Rudolf Amirjanyan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In DNS records, I.E zone file, is it possible to write IP address of the
> mail server instead of host domain name?
> like:
>
> DOMAIN.COM in mx 10 123.123.123.123.

Some mail servers will interpret this as you intend it, but it is wrong
and you should use a hostname instead. If it comes to the attention of
the rfc-ignorant.org people, you'd get a listing in their "bogusmx"
zone, and if this is your only MX (or the other MXes are equally
broken), you'd also be listed in the "DSN", "postmaster", and "abuse"
zones. Some people refuse mail from domains listed in the various rfc-
ignorant.org zones.

So, don't do it.

Paul.
--