System crash (with datalost) with FC3

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 13 13:10:32 UTC 2005

Patrick Steiner wrote:
> since this crashes i lost some apps in /usr/bin. how can i recover this
> apps (without new install)?

Oh dear. I hope that's all it was.

You can use the command
rpm -Va
to get a list of which files have been installed by RPMs, but have been
changed or deleted. This can be a rather long one, since there will
probably be a lot of files that have changed normally. And it will take
a long time, because there will be a lot for it to check.

Once you've decided that a file is damaged or missing, you can use
rpm -qf /path/to/file
to identify the RPM in question.

And I, personally, would use
rpm -Fvh --oldpackage package.rpm
or
rpm -Fvh --replacepackgs package.rpm
to reinstall the packages.

Hope this helps,

James.
--
E-mail address: james | "I blame the teachers, and I blame the politicians
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | for picking the teachers, and I blame the parents