SATA Dual boot problems

Gene Czarcinski gene at czarc.net
Thu Jan 13 13:49:14 UTC 2005

On Thursday 06 January 2005 16:33, Willis, Jordan D wrote:
> When I first install Windows the system boot just fine.  Then I install
> Fedora 3 and the installation proceeds just fine.  I tell it the use the
> second SATA drive (hdb) and configure GRUB to boot Windows XP by default.
>  Then when the installation finishes and I restart, I get an "Error loading
> operating system" and my machine will not load Windows XP or Fedora 3.

This may be the same problem that I experienced on regular parallel ATA (and
has been bugzilla'ed).  Under some conditions, the FC installer (anaconda)
does not install grub (or perhaps it is that it does not install it
properly).

The solution is to boot the install cdrom in rescue mode ("linux rescue").
Then follow the directios for accessing your system via chroot and execute
the command:

grub-install  '(hd0)'

Note:  be sure to include the quotes.

That should install grub into the MBR and also install the related files grub
needs.
--
Gene