should i bother??

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Thu Jan 13 15:22:16 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 09:55, O'Neill, Donald (US - Deerfield) wrote:
> If your not having problems with anything, then leave it alone. Your not
> going to gain any performance by upgrading.
>
> As for the local root exploit, unless you have untrusted users with
> shell accounts on your machine, the 'local exploit' is a not a issue.

You need to be careful here.  As you say that local root exploit is only
usable if someone is on your system.  But lets say they find a way to
get user level access via say a guessed user password, or httpd or
through phpbb or some other package you have on your system.  Then all
they need to do to own the box is execute this root exploit and they own
the system.

Don't rely on a hard candy coating to keep all the hackers at bay.
Harden the inside of your system whenever possible.  Layered defense is
always better.

dedicated firewall--->limited ports passed through (if any)--->firewall
on server (limited services allowed through)----> disable all unneeded
services------>keep system patches up to date ------> run
tripwire------>run chkrootkit -------> monitor log files ----> use
screen savers to lock terminal session -----> use good passwords ----->
change passwords -----> don't use the same password on multiple systems
----> disable root login on ssh -----> don't use telnet or ftp

Keep shotgun handy along with several watch dogs......

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

You must dine in our cafeteria.  You can eat dirt cheap there!!!!