kudzu problem when adding or replacing network cards

David Jansen jansen at strw.leidenuniv.nl
Thu Jan 13 15:39:58 UTC 2005

I think I encountered a bug in kudzu.
Situation: desktop system, FC2, working ok, using a fixed IP number on
local LAN. Now I wanted to add a 2nd network card to create a private
network, using iptables NAT and dhcp, so I can connect a laptop directly
to the system.
Ok, sytem boots, kudzu detects the network card, and offers me to
configure it. So far, great. So I enter parameters for the new network,
make it IP 192.168.1.1 . The dialogs asks for: IP number, netmask,
gateway and primary DNS server.
The boot proceeds, but errors when starting network services (nfs
mounts, ntpd etc).
After logging in, I discover two problems:
- /etc/resolv.conf is now empty, except for a primary DNS server, which
  was the only thing asked on kudzu's configuration dialog. So any other
  DNS information is gone (like the "search strw.leidenuniv.nl" that
  made it possible to resolve local host names without having to type
  their FQDN).
- The default route of the system was 192.168.1.1, the number I entered
  as gateway for the 2nd network card

No damage done, it was not hard to revert these changes, but now I
wonder: did I do something stupid, or is it indeed a bug in kudzu to
mess up existing network settings?
If the "gateway" setting is used for the default route of the system,
shouldn't that be a global parameter and not a property of any one
network device?

David Jansen