Poweredge 1850 Crashing on Fedora Core 3 SMP

Merrick Lozano merrick at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 17:20:07 UTC 2005

I finished installing Fedora Core 3 on my new server, and it crashes
every now and then - so far I noticed it happened when GNOME was
coming up (at some network stage) and then within GNOME. I went
through the dell utilities and it found no hardware problems, but when
the server crashes / freezes i get the
amber / orange light flashing in front and back.

The server is a Dell Poweredge 1850 and has the the following specs:

2 X 2.8GHz/1MB Cache, Xeon 800MHz Front Side Bus for PowerEdge 1850
2GB DDR2 400MHz (4X512MB) Single Ranked DIMMs
Riser,ROMB,PCI-X,PE1850
Embedded RAID - PERC4 EmbeddedIntegrated
2 X 146GB,U320,SCSI,1IN 10K;PE1850
2 X INTEL PRO-100S W/IPSEC,NIC (intel fast ethernet lan controller pci
slot 2 & 1)
2 X Intel pro 1000 mt gigabit ethernet adapter onboard

A friend told me they had trouble with the onboard nics on a different
but similar Dell, so I bought the PCI ones through dell turns out he
had trouble with broadcom's.

Has anyone else had similar problems, or does anyone have any advice on what to
troubleshoot?

Thanks.