Nervious wannabe new user asks for advice.

Richard S. Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Thu Jan 13 18:46:58 UTC 2005

Maxim Eremeev said:
> BTW, why not just give it a try by dual boot installation (I mean
> Windows and Fedora)?

Dual-booting Windows and FC3 is notoriously problematic.  The user would
do well to read up on the geometry issues that come up before doing a
dual-boot; as far as I know, the bug is still present in FC3.

>>So onto the hardware I am worried about. The first is
>>my ADSL modem which is a BT Voyager 100, the second my
>>printer which is an Epson C64, though I would be
>>upgrading to a R200 in the near future. Does anyone
>>here have any of these and if so did they work? If not
>>here would I go for drivers for them?

Your ASDL modem shouldn't be an issue, really, since you don't connect to
it directly; you use a network card to interface with the Internet
connection that's delivered over the modem.  So make sure your network
card is compatible (hint: it most likely is).

>>I have been incontact with the Epson and British
>>Telecom (BT) about linux drivers and both came back
>>with a negative response.

Most printer manufacturers don't bother with creating Linux drivers for
their products.  However, http://linuxprinting.org/ is a goldmine of
information about printers.  You might want to look into CUPS for your
printer setup; you'll find more information at that site.

Good luck!