DoveCot vs Cyrus-Imapd Performance

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Thu Jan 13 21:12:15 UTC 2005

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 14:32, Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
>

>>The only thing that is more complicated, IMHO, is if you already have
>>users, and mail folders are in different format.  Than you need to
>>migrate it into the Cyrus.
>

> And what if those users already have existing .forward or .procmailrc
> files?  Can you maintain compatibility when you switch?  Does delivery
> still work with the sendmail 'plussed' addresses (user+tag) for
> addresses that aren't picked off by a matching .forward+tag file?

Simple stuff from .forward (mail forwarded to another mail address), no
problemos.  Just move it into Sieve.  Vacation program called from
.forward, no problemos either.  More complicated stuff, such as users
calling custom mail filters, won't work.  Those usually require user
accounts anyhow, and that is something to avoid on big installations
(actually, anything bigger than home installation, no custom mail filter
programs, IMO).

Procmail stuff, user's will have to rebuild that from scratch using
Sieve.  Another possibility is keeping procmail, and calling Cyrus
deliver program directly from it (instead as sendmail mailer).  Some
people are doing it, and it works.  For simple procmail stuff, some
automation tool could be written, but I wouldn't count on it being too
reliable.  Sieve isn't as versatile as procmail.  However, majority of
people are using it just to sort mail into different folders on the
server.  Something Sieve is perfectly capable of doing.

Plussed addresses should work with Cyrus.  It is possible to configure
Cyrus so that username+something will go to user's INBOX.something
folder.  If plussed address is to be forwarded, it can be done using Sieve.