Which processes doi Really Need

Charles E Taylor IV tomalek at mindspring.com
Thu Jan 13 22:50:30 UTC 2005

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 22:40:04 +0000
James Wilkinson <james at westexe.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> For better or worse, Unix will send certain notifications, especially to
> the root user, by e-mail. And Linux follows this pattern. Fedora will
> normally send one such e-mail each day.

Funny thing is, if you do the right thing on your notebook and don't run
as root, you won't get these notifications.  They'll just pile up in
root's mailbox.

Perhaps the Fedora installer should provide a way to hsve these messages
sent to a normal user account on the system instead?  (If it does, I
missed it.)

Personally, logwatch (the source of the daily e-mails) annoys the **** out
of me. But I use Linux on a laptop, not on a server.

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek at mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry teacher, Linux enthusiast!