FC3 - i'm disapointed

Brian Fahrlander brian at fahrlander.net
Thu Jan 13 23:10:22 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 17:05 -0600, Erich Noll wrote:

> Here's a dumb question from someone who never knows when
> to leave well-enough alone:  Someone, I suppose Kevin Fries, said
> top posting is really annoying but now that I know what top posting is:
>
> why it is truly annoying?

    Instead of posting at the bottom (like you did, and I am) the
continuing thread of the conversation starts at the bottom, then the
top, then the bottom- you can't read the message like a printed page.
You have to go hunting to understand what's going on.  With as much
email as we tend to read here, it's already complicated enough.

    The problem comes in where people start a post wherever their cursor
is- this isn't evil, it's very natural in fact.  But so is anarchy and
civilizations work hard to leave it.  When this page gets up to Google
it'll be readable, top to bottom.

    Sure, one message isn't going to ruin you whole day, but we look at
thousands of these things in a day's time.  How long does it take to
READ the incoming message and scroll down?

    Sorry. </RANT>
Brian Fahrländer                 Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                http://www.fahrlander.net
ICQ: 5119262                                          AIM: WheelDweller