DoveCot vs Cyrus-Imapd Performance

Kevin Fries kevin at hcico.com
Thu Jan 13 23:21:12 UTC 2005

Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:

| Les Mikesell wrote:
|
|> On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 14:32, Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
|>

|>> The only thing that is more complicated, IMHO, is if you already
|>> have users, and mail folders are in different format.  Than you
|>> need to migrate it into the Cyrus.
|>

|> And what if those users already have existing .forward or .procmailrc
|> files?  Can you maintain compatibility when you switch?  Does delivery
|> still work with the sendmail 'plussed' addresses (user+tag) for
|> addresses that aren't picked off by a matching .forward+tag file?
|

| Simple stuff from .forward (mail forwarded to another mail address),
| no problemos.  Just move it into Sieve.  Vacation program called
| from .forward, no problemos either.  More complicated stuff, such as
| users calling custom mail filters, won't work.  Those usually
| require user accounts anyhow, and that is something to avoid on big
| installations (actually, anything bigger than home installation, no
| custom mail filter programs, IMO).
|
| Procmail stuff, user's will have to rebuild that from scratch using
| Sieve.  Another possibility is keeping procmail, and calling Cyrus
| deliver program directly from it (instead as sendmail mailer).  Some
| people are doing it, and it works.  For simple procmail stuff, some
| automation tool could be written, but I wouldn't count on it being
| too reliable.  Sieve isn't as versatile as procmail.  However,
| majority of people are using it just to sort mail into different
| folders on the server.  Something Sieve is perfectly capable of doing.
|
| Plussed addresses should work with Cyrus.  It is possible to
| configure Cyrus so that username+something will go to user's
| INBOX.something folder.  If plussed address is to be forwarded, it
| can be done using Sieve.

Aleksandar,

You just proved our point.

Why do I need to do any of that?

With Dovecot, WU, and Courier, it uses system accounts.  Not only
that, Usermin allows the user to manage their own procmail/forward
files empowering the user, and relieving me, as the admin, from having
to do it.  Plus, the user does not need to have the ability to log on
(restrict telnet, ssh, etc) for security reasons.

And how do the Cyrus tools interoperate with other tools?  The simple
answer is they don't.  They are a bastard process that needs to be
managed separately.  There are lots of ways to make the admin of the
user accounts more complex in an attempt to make the overall
administration easier.  Tools to place user accounts in LDAP and MySQL
so the accounts can be reused for mail relay, pop/imap, but also ftp
and web access, such as Webmin and Postfix Admin.  One admin tool to
handle it all.  Dovecot, Courier, and WU will all work with that type
of system, Cyrus does not.

That is why people think Cyrus is more complicated to administer.

Kevin Fries