Which processes doi Really Need

Charles E Taylor IV tomalek at mindspring.com
Fri Jan 14 00:28:21 UTC 2005

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 17:03:18 -0700
Kevin Fries <kevin at hcico.com> wrote:

> Go into /etc/crontab and there is a line in there:

> MAILTO=root

> You can change that to anything you want, something like:

> MAILTO=admins at example.com

> This works for all the cron jobs except logwatch.  In the logwatch the
> mailto address is set within the script, so you need to change it there.

> Now, cron will not assume a local mailer is needed, and will forward
> to the smtp server on your network.  No more need for Sendmail at all!

Now if we can get the Fedora guys thinking that setting this in up in the
installer would be a good idea... :)

Something like a checkbox with "Send system error messages to this user?"
when the user account is created in firstboot.  Then the installer could
modify the necessary files.

For a notebook/personal desktop install, I don't think sending mail to the
root user is a very good idea, especially if the prevailing wisdom is for
the user to never log in as root.

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek at mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry teacher, Linux enthusiast!