How to improve performance? (starter)

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Fri Jan 14 00:31:20 UTC 2005

Thu, 13 Jan 2005 22:12:20 +0000 Tony Dietrich wrote:

> On Thursday 13 Jan 2005 21:38, Alexandre Vernille wrote:

> > AMD K6_2
> > it looks like the RAM is too busy...

> You hit the nail on the head.  Linux is memory-hungry.  Minimum memory for a
> Fedora installation with a graphical User Interface is 192mB RAM.  Only
> solution is to add memory to your machine.  I'd advise at least 512mB.

In most cases of K6/2, 512 is a sad recommendation. Most motherboards
that support K6/2 chips will support at most 384M due to chipset
limitation. In addition, most have inadequate cache RAM to support more
than 256M, hence without knowing more about the poster's hardware, at
Thu, 13 Jan 2005 16:51:05 -0500, I recommended 256M in response to the
original question.
--
"The message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing,
but to us who are being saved, it is the power of God."

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/auth/