Installing Fedora form scratch

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Fri Jan 14 03:50:39 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 22:43, Mohan Iyer wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> I am downloading the specific CD's to a Windows
> machine and would like to burn them and then install
> Fedora on another machine.
>
> How do I do that I am still researching if I will get
> this information onthe website but would like to pose
> the question here to get a reply sooner probably.
>
> thank you in advance

1. verify the md5 check sums on the iso's you downloaded.  (google for
the tool to use under windows if needed)  The MD5SUM file lists what you
should get.

2. Make sure you downloaded the right files, do not download the ones
with SRPMS in them. Those are the source isos you want the other ones.

3. Burn the iso files as images not as copies to the CDs.  Your burning
software (Adaptic CD creator, nero, ???) should have an option for
burning an image to disc.

4. Make sure you systems bios has the cd drive listed to boot first.

5. search the list archives if you get errors checking the FC3 disks
prior to install.  (can probably ignore this or I think you need to boot
with DMS turned off)

6. read the release notes!

Did I forget any of the things people normally mess up when the do the
install?

(this should be numbered so we can just say #4 when this question gets
asked)

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Nothing is as simple as it seems at first
	Or as hopeless as it seems in the middle
		Or as finished as it seems in the end.