Nervious wannabe new user asks for advice.

David Tomlinson david.tomlinson at sanderson.com
Fri Jan 14 09:41:17 UTC 2005

by way of balance [or muddying the waters] if you've come from, or live
in a predominantly ms windows environment - dual booting is a godsend.

i'm running fc3 and winXP pro on a tosh laptop. increasingly i spend
more time in linux, but there are still instances where i'm dragged back
to windows

- mainly for entertainment purposes - my digital camera and mp3 player's
software have useful add-ons such as intelligently archiving files that
add to more than simply mounting them as drives [and of course every
lunchtime the development floor resounds to the thrum of wwII fighter
planes as we all take to the skies in airfix's dogfighter]

- but also within a work environment - you don't have to be very complex
before you flush out inconsistencies/incompatibilities in documents and
spreadsheets both in terms of functions and display, and as the bulk of
our org are winOffice based, it's unreasonable of me to expect them to
bend to my will, so i bend to theirs.

increased usage of linux means that where as i'd previously reach for
photoshop i now spend a little extra time working it out with the gimp
[not something i ever expected to write in an email !!] and it hasn't
let me down yet.

installing was a doddle - i de-fragged my disk, used partition magic to
squash windows onto 1 half of my drive, left the other half unformatted
and fc3 spotted this, picked up the unused space, sorted out a boot
loader and loaded pretty cleanly...

i've lost sound and my wireless connection in fc3, but then so have a
few people!!, and it's only going to be a little spade work to get it
back.

dual booting gives you a safety net - you don't need to be grappling
with a new os and application set AND trying to hit a deadline/work
under pressure, so i'd always recommend it while you find your feet.

rgds

david

On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 15:00 -0500, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> > Dual-booting Windows and FC3 is notoriously problematic.  The user would
> > do well to read up on the geometry issues that come up before doing a
> > dual-boot; as far as I know, the bug is still present in FC3.
>
> Personally I believe dual booting causes more problems for the user than
> it is really worth.  Kind of like trying to learn to swim by sticking
> just one foot in the water.  Just can't do it.

David Tomlinson
Sanderson Limited
Director - Business Online
w: - +44 [0] 2476 284 365
m: - +44 [0] 7970 085 963
i: - 4365
http://www.sanderson.com

This email from Sanderson Ltd is intended only for the personal use of the recipient(s) named above. The email and any files transmitted with it are confidential to the intended recipient(s) and may be legally privileged or contain proprietary and private information. If you are not an intended recipient, you may not review, copy or distribute this message. If received in error, please notify the sender and delete the message from your system.

Any views or opinions expressed in this email and any files transmitted with it are those of the author only and may not necessarily reflect the views of Sanderson Ltd and does not create any legally binding rights or obligations whatsoever. Unless otherwise pre-agreed by exchange of hard copy documents signed by duly authorised representatives, contracts may not be concluded on behalf of Sanderson Ltd by email.

Please note that neither Sanderson Ltd nor the sender accepts any responsibility for any viruses and it is your responsibility to scan the email and the attachments (if any). All email received and sent by Sanderson Ltd may be monitored to protect the business interests of Sanderson Ltd