DoveCot vs Cyrus-Imapd Performance

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Fri Jan 14 14:04:01 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-14 at 00:42, Roger Grosswiler wrote:
> Seems there are 2 parts in this thread:
>
> 1) cyrus is hard to administer/install
> 2) cyrus has lesser possibilities

No exactly.  It's more that
1) Cyrus doesn't integrate closely with unix/linux user accounts which
may or may not be a good thing.  If you are an ISP providing email only
you may want that.  If you are an office providing file/ftp/print, etc.
services for all the same users you may double your setup work per user.

2) Cyrus is unlike anything else, so if you replace an existing system
you will have to re-learn administration and you'll probably break
things that users have taken for granted for years.

If you are starting from scratch, Cyrus is probably the most capable
system.  I think it is the only one that understands shared folders
correctly (i.e. a group of users with their own logins can be given
permission to access the same folders besides their own inbox).  If
you are already running a pop server or wu-imap, dovecot is an easier
switch.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com